In the old days (pre-interwebs) these were THE things that got noticed. You knew you were someone in business when you could afford a billboard.
Today- with our attention pulled in a hundred (thousand?) different directions, traditional media doesn’t get the love that it should. Billboards can still be a part of your overall marketing strategy- when done right.
Here are some things to keep in mind if you are considering adding a billboard to your marketing plans:
- The best feature of billboards, they increase brand awareness. Billboards are a great way to get your brand name and message in front of a large audience. They can be placed in high-traffic areas where people are likely to see them, and they can be used to create a memorable impression of your business.
- Location, location, location. Be intentional. Billboards can be placed in specific areas where your target audience is likely to be. For example, if you own a restaurant, you could place a billboard near a busy intersection or near a popular shopping area. Think about high-traffic areas that YOUR audience frequents. Avoid areas that are too far from your location.
- You can reach a variety of customers. Billboards can reach people of all ages, demographics, and income levels. This can be helpful for small businesses that are trying to reach a broad audience.
- Cost-effective. Billboards can be a cost-effective way to advertise your business, especially when compared to other forms of advertising such as television or radio. Look for digital billboards that are generally lower cost because you are sharing the space with other advertisers.
- Flexible. Billboards can be used for a variety of advertising purposes, such as promoting a new product or service, announcing a special event, or simply reminding people about your business. If you opt for a digital billboard, your creative can change with seasonal promotions.
- Design is king. You have to grab attention, explain what you’re about, and be memorable all at one time. Avoid making your billboard too busy with too many forms of contact or details.
Overall, billboards can be a great way for small businesses to reach a large audience and promote their products or services in a cost-effective way.
If you are a small business owner and you are considering getting a billboard, be sure to do your research and choose a location that is visible to your target audience. You should also create a billboard design that is eye-catching and memorable.